The City Library invites everyone in Salt Lake City to join the Tech League! The Tech League is the Library's initiative to build a more digitally inclusive community through information, workshops, events, and classes. Although many in Salt Lake City use the Internet on a daily basis, others lack access to the Internet, the devices to get connected, or the skills to use them. Without access and skills, people in our community may be left disconnected from friends and family, work opportunities, information and entertainment to improve their lives, and more. The Tech League's goal is to understand who in our community lacks Internet access and to bring the Library's resources and tools to those individuals to foster independence, connection, and success in our digital world.
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH THE INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE
About the Position:
The Technology Mentor will support refugee families recently resettled into the Salt Lake City area by empowering them to unlock the potential of technology. Mentors guide refugees in navigating a new community and creating a safe space for the family to learn and grow in their technology use and English skills. These volunteer positions are co-sponsored by the Applied Technology Foundation, Cotopaxi, and the Salt Lake City Public Library.Primary Responsibilites:
The Technology Mentor role will assist in helping refugee families:
• Sign up for a library card and connect to library resources.
• Discover personal relevance of technology in everyday life and in reaching education and career goals
• Learn the basic skills required to use a computer and navigate the internet and its resources
• Become digital citizens who use technology in positive and safe ways
• How to set up an email account
• Password retrieval
• Working knowledge of Word
• Working knowledge of Google Drive
• Device setup (wi-fi)
• Help with downloads
• Knowledge of tablets/mobile devices
• Resumes and online job searching
• Working knowledge of 3D printing and software
• Working knowledge of Adobe Suite software
• Teaching experience
• Foreign Language expertise
Schedule varies. Volunteer will schedule 4–6 sessions to work with the refugee family.
Completion of criminal background check will be required, if the candidate is over eighteen (18) years of age.How to apply:
• Fill out the Tech League Volunteer Application.
• This is an ongoing recruitment process.